What is a Scoliosis?
Scoliosis most often affects girls. Some people are more likely to have curving of the spine. Curving generally gets worse during a growth spurt.Scoliosis is an abnormal curvature of the spine (backbone). There is a natural, forward-and-backward curve to the spine. With scoliosis, the spine rotates and develops a side-to-side curve.
Date when you first noticed change in your spine
Curve progression (determined from earlier X-rays, if available)
Presence and location of pain, if any
- Backache or low-back pain that goes down the legs
- Weakness or tired feeling in the spine after sitting or standing for a long time
- Uneven hips or shoulders (one shoulder may be higher than the other)
- Shoulder pain
- Spine curves more to one side
- Difficulty with breathing or sitting
- The cause of scoliosis
- Where the curve is in your spine
- How big the curve is
- If your body is still growing