What is a Meningitis ?
Meningitis is an infection and inflammation of the fluid and membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord. These membranes are called meninges.
Meningitis is an inflammation of the fluid and three membranes (meninges) surrounding your brain and spinal cord.
Other symptoms of meningitis in babies can include:
- jaundice (a yellowish tint to the skin)
- stiffness of the body and neck
- a lower-than-normal temperature
- a weak suck
- a high-pitched cry
Signs and Symptoms
- Stiff neck
- Photophobia (eyes being more sensitive to light)
- Altered mental status (confusion)
- Hearing loss.
- Memory problems.
- Learning disabilities.
- Brain damage.
- Trouble walking.
- Kidney failure.