What is a Brain abscess?
Brain abscess is a focal infectious collection within the brain parenchyma, which can arise as a complication of another infection or through trauma or surgery.
Symptoms usually develop slowly over several weeks, but they can also come on suddenly. Symptoms you should watch for are
- Outline the evaluation of patients with brain abscesses.
- Explain the treatment strategies for brain abscesses.
What are the symptoms of a brain abscess?
- decreased speech
- decreased sensation
- decreased movement due to loss of muscle function
- changes in vision
- changes in personality or behavior
What are the risk factors?
- a compromised immune system due to HIV
- cancer and other chronic illnesses
- congenital heart disease
- major head injury